Thursday, June 21, 2007

Meeting fallen soldiers

American Cemetery Colleville sur Mer

Daniel H. Tremper


Daniel, met Robert. Robert, met Daniel.

Never have I’ve so many WWII jeeps and array of vehicles in one place. On our drive to the cemetery we must have seen at least 20 vehicles, and a dozen others in the parking lot of the cemetery. I thought the US had a lot of WWII vehicles… we ain’t got shit!!


Racing between the various crowds of veterans and children, I raced ahead of Ysi to capture some candid footage of him walking down the path where he was flanked by thousands of white crosses.

Mary, Rene, Magalie and I followed Ysi as he tried to recall the location of Daniel H. Tremper’s grave.



He was dead on. This is his 6th visit. He said it doens't get any easier.


Plot E Row 7 Grave 30

Ysi knelt down and placed the basket of flowers and spoke words only known to Daniel and god. On one knee, Ysi let out a deep sigh, a sound I have become too familiar with it.

He had made it back yet another year.

Now this time, Daniel has a face. It was in the fall of 2006, over 62 years, that Ysi finally made contact with a relative of Daniel’s, a sister. She mailed Ysi a picture of Daniel prior to entering the Army and his Purple Heart. She died a few months later at the age of 87 in Dec 2006. The window off opportunity and luck had waited for six decades until the hatches final withered with age.

Now I can erase the image of Tom Hanks with the real image of SSgt Daniel H. Tremper. Surprisingly enough, there is a slight resemblance.

We stood there for a few moments in silence gathering our thoughts, before it was time to say good bye. Among the Row 7 Daniel’s grave stood solely and proudly among his fallen friends.

Ysi rendered, yet again, another Last Salute.

The camera rolled the whole time.

PFC Esau Olague...

Now it was my turn to render a final salute.

This story must started a year ago when my Barber, Ronnie, and I were talking about the war. Over 12 years of being a monthly costumer of Ronnie, I’ve come to learn a few things about his life. I knew he started cutting hair when he was in his twenties and that he was raised by his Grandparents. I knew he had trouble in school. He always gave me excellent advice that has never failed. I have many deep toughts in that barbers chair.

I learned that his father was killed in the battle for Normandy. Ronnie had only been a few months old. His mother, sadly, was killed in a shipyard accident when a piece of steel fell from a crane and crushed her. She was only 19 years old.

With his fathers name I researched and found out where he was buried at. Little did I know that in 2006 that I would soon pay my respects to PFC Olague in the same Cemetery that SSGT Tremper is buried.

From the National Battle Monuments Commission website I learned that he served with the 2nd inf Reg of the 5th Inf Div. He was killed in action on July 27, 1944. With that information I began to research the the 2nd Inf Reg and the battles that took place on the 27th. Sure enough I digged through some archives and found his name along with others who were killed in the battle for Voudiville.

I concluded that he must have been killed by German artillery or armor.

Now a year later I am in France. I rekindled the conversation with Ronnie and told him I will pay his father a visit. I asked Ronnie if he had a photo of his father in uniform. He did.

I ask Ronnie what he knew about his father? His father was only 20 when he was drafted into the Army. Ronnie shared the story his grandfather had told him:

Prior to receiving his draft notice, Esau had bought a brand new car; with his departure date nearing, Esau told his father to use the car. Esau’s father told that him that he would take the tires off, sit the car on blocks in the garage and make sure no one touches it until he returns home.

Esau said “No use it, because I’m not coming home”. A smoker, he turned walked away blowing a puff of smoke into the air. Those where the last words Esau would have with his father.

Now everything was coming into context. I understood the battle. I understood the survivors. And now in the forest of crosses I understood the sacrifice.

As I approached PFC Olague a surge of excitement and anxiety fell upon me, like meeting someone for the very first time. And there he was.

Plot H Row 20 Grave 28

PFC ESAU R. OLAGUE


CALIFORNIA

2nd Inf DiV 5th Inf Div
KIA 27 July 1944






I knelt down place the photo Esau next to his cross and rendered a salute. Ysi, with authority, rendered a final salute. From a veteran to a fallen veteran.


It then downed on me, that I was the first person in 63 years to sincerly pay respects to Esau. No family, no friends (to my knowledge) has genuinely stood in front of this mans grave and wept. I get chills when I tell of this story.

I hope a clunk of dirt will from Colleville sur Mer will be able to connect father and son.


Robert


D Day 0630hrs.
June 6th, 2007

The time is 0630 hrs. D Day plus 63… Years.

I woke up the over cast skies of St Laurent. Omaha could be heard off in the distance crashing against the shores. I open the small window of the second story Inn and am sprayed with a mist from bloody Omaha. This time,63 years later, the water is clear.

I had the hardest time trying to imagine being either a German or American and listening to the bombs fall near by.

I feel back to sleep.

We returned to Colleville Sur Mer for the Annual Ceremonies.

We sat upon the steps of the Plaza. Defense Secretary Gates sat several rows ahead of us along with other dignitaries.

Behind us stood a row of flag barriers from the US military. During the ceremony a sound came from behind as if some one had dropped a hum cap. A Sgt in the US Airforce had collapse after several minutes of attentions. She was given first aid. The topic of discussion among the rows veterans was sharing of stories of soldiers falling over during Attention. They shared tricks they learned when standing at attention.


Ysi and I were interviewed by a French News crew. Ysi was in his VFW uniform and I was in my WWII uniform; identical to his Class A (Dressed) during the war.

At the cemetery I conducted several interviews with British soldiers who landed on DDay. Very interesting. My regret was being to passive in asking for an interview from the American veterans who where there. I kept saying “I’ll get them afterwards.”

We visited the British and Canadian sector the landings. The little town that harbors the beaches was beautiful. With its narrow streets closed off for tourist and people in period uniforms transported this little street back in time to 1944.

The sounds of a Jeeps idling and backfire are common sounds during the 6th of June. And the smell of exhausted and oil has never been so nostalgic.


Saint Mere Elgise
JUNE 7th

Here is where the famous Airborne Divisions of the 82nd and 101st liberated in mid June.

Jeeps, tanks, halftracks and more jeeps accompanied the many reenactors who are still left over from 6th.

A platoon paratroopers did several rounds around the City square sounding cadences. Your left…right righto your left… your left right your left

I thought they must be Americans because they look so damn sharp. As a reenactor, I subconsciously critique WWII impressions. These men where by far the most accurate and poised group of reenactors I’ve encountered in France.

A young French lady, dressed as a medic asked Ysidor if she could take a picture. Before we knew it we followed the platoon into the Airborne Museum where they all asked Ysi questions. Even though Ysi was not in the Airborne they were just as in awe.

They were French. They had learned American phrases just enough to get by in drills and in marches.

Again the camera rolled.

They gather around Ysi for a company picture. One of them said fommage(cheese) while some wise cracked yelled, sex! Sex! Sex! It must have been the only word in English he knew.

Off to the side, Rene was talking to the French young lady. He was telling her about Ysi’s story. Tremper etc…


Afterwards, Ysi and I quickly scanned the Airborne museum. Along the way Ysi was stopped and thanked. I gladly took photos for thankful.

They young French lady and her boyfriend, one of the paratrooper, caught up with us. She said that she spoke with Rene and that the Paratrooper platoon was going to go visit Daniel and pay their respects, too.

Ysi deeply moved by this was speechless as he tried to thank the two. Tears ran behind his glasses and quickly wiped away by his handkerchief. The young couple also held back tears.

I was lucky enough to be hiding behind the camera.


Robert

No comments: